Jul 17, 2024  
2023-2024 Course Catalog & Student Handbook 
2023-2024 Course Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Consistent with State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education (SBTCE) Policies and Procedures, York Technical College makes an effort to minimize barriers to postsecondary programs and services offered by the College. A high school diploma (or GED diploma), though desirable, is not a prerequisite for college admission; it may be required for admission to specific programs and for eligibility for scholarship and grant assistance. Students must score at a minimum eighth grade reading level on the College placement test in order to be admitted into a program or verify reading level through alternate documentation. Each academic department identifies specific entry-level skills required for admission into each program and determines minimum placement test scores on Reading, Math, and English for placement. Students not meeting minimum placement criteria for admission may be admitted to the College and assigned to Career Development or referred to their local Adult Education to enhance academic skills.

In an effort to refine course placement for students, the College reserves the right to pilot comparable alternative placement methodologies with identified populations. Students who are admitted based on an alternative placement methodology must sign an authorization and statement of understanding prior to enrolling in the course.

South Carolina Residency for Tuition Payment Purposes Information

In accordance with South Carolina Code of Laws 59-112-10 to 59-112-100, York Technical College is required to determine the residence classification of applicants at the time of admission for tuition and fee purposes. To qualify for in-state tuition, a legal resident must have maintained his/her own domicile in South Carolina for at least 12 months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term for which resident classification is sought. In addition to the requirements above, legal residents of S.C. must also either be a U.S. citizen or have been awarded permanent resident status (documentation required) by the U.S. Department of Justice. All non-citizens and non-permanent residents of the United States will be assessed tuition and fees at the out-of-state rate except for those in certain approved non-immigrant visa classifications. Students who do not meet this requirement should contact Enrollment Services for more information about documentation required for exceptions.

An out-of-state residency determination made at the time of admission prevails for each subsequent semester until the student successfully challenges the determination by completing and submitting a Verification of Residency Status Form with required documentation. An in-state residency determination made at the time of admission prevails until information becomes available that would impact the existing residency status. The burden of proof rests with the student to show evidence as deemed necessary to establish and maintain his or her residency status.

Citizenship and Lawful Presence in the U.S.

The South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act (S. C. Code Ann. #59-101-430 (Westlaw 2008) prohibits those unlawfully present in the United States from attending a public institution of higher education in South Carolina and from receiving a public higher education benefit. The College may require submission of documentation that supports the claim of legal presence in the United States. Any applicant providing false information related to his/her legal presence in the United States will be ineligible for admission or will be dismissed from the College if admitted. Any applicant who is found to be unlawfully present in the United States will be ineligible for admission, or, if admitted, will be dismissed from the College. Verification through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE) program is required for all student identifying as non-citizen. The SAVE verification must confirm lawful presence in the U.S. or student must maintain their status for continuous enrollment at York Technical College.

Students under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Students under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) must submit documentation that supports the claim of legal presence in the United States. Verification through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program is required for all students under DACA prior to admission to the College. The SAVE verification must confirm Deferred Action Status and/or lawful presence in the U.S., and students must maintain their status for continuous enrollment at York Technical College.

Deferred Action students are not eligible on the basis of residence for public higher education benefits, including but not limited to, scholarships, financial aid, grants, or resident tuition as mandated by the SC Code of Laws 59-101-430.

Students need to be aware that DACA immigrants in South Carolina cannot become licensed nurses, dental hygienists, or physical therapists, to name just a few of the more than 40 careers requiring state licenses or other credentials. For more professionals that require a South Carolina License, log on to www.llr.state.sc.us and select Professional Licensing Board.

International Students

Non-resident aliens who are in the United States for the sole purpose of studying at a college or university must attend a school that has been authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to enroll foreign students. Foreign nationals holding or in need of a F-1 student visa must attend a college or university which is authorized to issue USCIS form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status). York Technical College is not authorized to enroll foreign students in F, M, or some J categories. For further information, contact Enrollment Services.

General Admission Requirements

Admission Procedures

Applicants who plan to pursue a degree, diploma, or certificate program need to complete the following steps:

Admission to the College

  1. Complete and submit an application for admission available online at www.yorktech.edu/apply.
  2. Submit an official high school transcript with a GPA of 2.7 or higher, or take the college’s placement test, or submit applicable SAT or ACT test scores, or submit applicable GED test scores.
  3. Have an official college transcripts of any previous college credit earned sent to the College for evaluation of transfer credit. (See College Transfer Credit.)

A high school diploma (or GED certificate), though desirable, is not a prerequisite for college admission, but may be required for specific program admission. Have official transcript from high school or GED scores sent to the College. Please note that you must provide official proof of high school graduation or GED in order to be eligible to receive federal and/or state financial aid. This includes student loans.

Once admitted, work with an enrollment counselor to make a plan for your first-term courses and prepare for registration. Students will receive email notification once academic planning occurs at which time students can select their course times and modality.

First-time students will receive an invite to New Student Orientation (NSO). NSO is strongly encouraged for all incoming students. 

Health and Human Services

Entry to Health and Human Services programs requires a physical examination in addition to meeting any other departmental requirements.

There is one more step for those interested in Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Dental Assisting/Hygiene, Surgical Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology, Law Enforcement Technology, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Development, Human Services, Phlebotomy, or Medical Assisting. Before student’s registration or advising appointment, students should review the technical standards document found at www.yorktech.edu/departments/hhsd. Additionally, students should complete the electronic acknowledgements form (Statements of Understanding and Requirement for Background Checks and Drug Screenings) for their selected program.

Re-Admission to the College

A student who has not attended the College as a credit student for two consecutive terms and wishes to re-enter must reapply at www.yorktech.edu/apply. Readmitted students must meet the graduation requirements in the current catalog for their program unless an exception is recommended and approved by the Division Assoicate Vice President.

Proof of Vaccination

York Technical College is a two-year, non-residential institution, and therefore proof of vaccinations is not required for admission; however, it may be required in certain Health and Human Services programs.

Transcript Requirements

All applicants are asked to submit a copy of their official high school transcripts or official GED score reports. This information is used for admission, financial aid, scholarships, academic advisement, and other purposes to include:

  • Life Scholarship or other types of financial aid eligibility
  • Admission into a program of study in the Health and Human Services Division

Official High School Transcripts or Official GED Score Reports should be sent to:

York Technical College
Academic Records
452 S. Anderson Road
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Official GED Score Reports must be provided for documentation of high school equivalency completion.

Senior Citizens

South Carolina residents who are at least 60 years of age are permitted to attend non-credit and credit classes (excluding limited enrollment programs) on a space-available basis without payment of tuition. Students may only register under this provision on the business day prior to the first day of the session in which the course is offered. A $30 registration fee (non-refundable) is charged each term, along with any other fees associated with the course(s).

Students with Disabilities

York Technical College provides reasonable accommodations for students who self-identify a documented disability. Students and those pursuing enrollment at the College are asked to contact the Student Resources Office (SRO) at 803-327-8007. The SRO is located within Counseling and Support Services in the Student Services building. Those requesting accommodations should do so with reasonable advanced notice to the SRO. More information regarding the role of the SRO is available in the Student Services Section of this catalog handbook.

Admission Requirements for Dual Enrollment

  1. Complete and submit an application for admission available online at www.yorktech.edu/apply.
  2. Submit a high school transcript with GPA of 2.7 or higher, or take the College’s placement test, or submit applicable SAT or ACT scores.
  3. Have official transcripts of any previous college credit earned from another college sent to the College for evaluation of transfer credit (the student has to request the college transcript as the college credit is not on the high school transcript). (See College Transfer Credit.)

Applicants currently enrolled in high school under the age of 18 may attend York Technical College under the following special conditions:

  1. Applicants who are at least 16 years old and currently enrolled in the eleventh or twelfth grade of a secondary school or state approved home school, based on the following conditions:
    1. Students must continue their enrollment in secondary school or home school.
    2. Students must submit written permission of one parent/guardian and secondary school official. In the case of an applicant for a dual credit course or from a home school, the agreement must be between the College and a district administrator from the school district or an authorized educational agency which has jurisdiction over the home school.
    3. Students must be at least 16 years of age on the first day of class for any desired course.
    4. High school students taking dual enrollment courses must meet the same requirements for an individual course as any other college student.
  2. Applicants between the ages of 16 and 17 who are not enrolled in school may receive individual consideration for enrollment based on the following conditions:
    1. Students must submit the written request of one parent or guardian and the written permission of the public school official in which school the applicant should be enrolled.
    2. Students must be at least 16 years of age on the first day of class for any desired course.
    3. Students must be eligible to return to the last high school attended before they can be considered for admission.
    4. High school students taking dual enrollment courses must meet the same requirements for an individual course as any York Technical College student.
  3. Applicants who are 16 years of age or older and who are eligible to enter the tenth grade in a secondary school may enroll in courses at York Technical College for the summer term with written permission of parent or guardian. A student seeking to transfer credits back to his or her respective school should also solicit the written permission of the appropriate public school official prior to registering for classes.
  4. Students younger than 16 years of age may enroll in credit courses with written permission of one parent/guardian and secondary school official, and must be in a York Technical College program completion pathway. The students must be of an age appropriate for comprehension of the material being covered. The Associate Dean of Admissions and Enrollment Management or his/her designee reserves the right to make this determination. Students younger than 16 years of age may also enroll in non-credit, continuing education courses through the Division of Workforce and Economic Development with written permission of one parent/guardian.

Technical Standards

Technical standards are published by the instructional divisions for each program of study at York Technical College. The purpose of technical standards is to identify essential requirements that students must meet in order to complete program competencies successfully. Technical Standards may be found at www.yorktech.edu/Technical-Standards-for-all-Programs. Students have the responsibility to read the technical standards and understand the competencies required in their program of study. Large print or audio versions are available upon request to the Student Resources Office (SRO) located in Counseling and Support Services within Building J (Student Services). All inquiries concerning technical standards should be directed to the program department chairs.

Admission with Advanced Standing

York Technical College awards credit for satisfactory completion of courses in other technical colleges, technical institutes, or accredited colleges. Applicants for admission with advanced standing should complete the College’s admission application at www.yorktech.edu/apply with an official transcript of work from other schools. All rules regulating the transfer of credit must be met, and acceptance of such credit will be at the discretion of the Academic Records Office, Division Associate Vice President, and Executive Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs.

Statewide Transfer Agreements

The South Carolina Commission on Higher Education has established a list of technical college courses which are universally accepted by South Carolina’s state-supported colleges and universities. York Technical College offers many of these courses which may transfer for credit in various majors at the state supported senior colleges. For additional information, please refer to the College’s Transfer Guide at www.yorktech.edu/transfer-bridge.

Other Articulation Agreements

York Technical College has documented articulation agreements for acceptance of additional credits with the University of South Carolina-Columbia and Upstate, Lander University, Winthrop University, and Columbia College. For additional information, please contact the Business, Computer, Arts and Sciences Division office at 803-327-8020.

Transfer and Exemption Credit

Students may receive college credit through transfer or exemption options. The following York Technical College procedures for transfer and exemption credit support the College mission and the maintenance of academic quality and integrity. At least 25 percent of the credit hours required for program completion must be earned through instruction at York Technical College.

College Transfer Credit

York Technical College adheres to the South Carolina Technical College System Procedure 3-5-101.1, Transfer of Student Credits Among Technical Colleges, and uses Transfer Credit Practices of Educational Institutions published by The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers as a guide for acceptance of transfer credit. York Technical College analyzes credit accepted for transfer in terms of level, content, quality, comparability, and degreeprogram relevance.

Students planning to transfer courses from other postsecondary institutions to York Technical College must adhere to the following guidelines:

  1. Students must have official transcripts of completed courses from postsecondary institutions sent to the College.
  2. York Technical College accepts transfer course credit earned at postsecondary institutions accredited at the college level by a nationally recognized regional accrediting agency or by nationally recognized health accrediting agencies for hospital-based transfer credit. Credits may be considered for exemption credit from institutions which are non-regionally accredited; this credit will be reviewed jointly between Academic Records and the Academic Department Chair. Additional documentation may be requested from the student at the time of the review.
  3. York Technical College accepts qualifying transfer credit when the College offers a comparable course which is required or approved as an elective in the program of study. Courses transferred into a program must have equivalent or greater credits than the York Technical College course.
  4. A grade of “C” or better must have been earned in each course to be considered for transfer. C- (minus) grades are not eligible for transfer.
  5. Credit for the courses to be transferred must show on an official transcript from the granting institution.
  6. Credits transferred from other institutions and applied to the program may not exceed 75 percent of the total credits required by York Technical College for graduation.
  7. Courses accepted for transfer will be assigned a grade of “TR” and will not be calculated in the grade point average (GPA).
  8. New students eligible to receive transfer credit must enroll within two semesters of the time the credit is approved. Currently enrolled or former students may transfer credit back to York Technical College to graduate within two consecutive terms following the last term of attendance. If the student exceeds the two consecutive term time limit, he or she must be readmitted to the College and meet the program requirements in the current catalog.
  9. Students may appeal transfer credit decisions by submitting an Academic Credit Appeal form located under student forms at https://yorktech.edu/campus-life/student-policies-and-resources/.

Assessment of Prior Learning - College Exemption Credit

The following options are available for receiving exemption credit at York Technical College. Procedures may change based on specific needs.

Exemption Exams - All exemption examinations require an exam fee. For details, call 803-981-7176 or check the website at https://www.yorktech.edu/departments/assessment-center/.

  1. Conditions - Any student who requests an exemption exam must obtain approval from the Department Chair or designated faculty for courses other than those listed on the College’s website at www.yorktech.edu/Exemption-Tests.
  2. Administration of the Examination - The Department Chair will determine the appropriate time, place, and exam administrator.
  3. Kind of Credit - Exemption credit will be awarded with a grade of “E” on the transcript, with no guaranteed transfer option, for exemption exams completed with the appropriate passing score.
  4. Exam Procedure - Students must pay for the exemption exam at the Cashier’s Office prior to making the appointment for the exam. Students should present a picture ID and receipt when they report to the Assessment Center for testing.

In order to receive exemption credit, students must:

  • Be enrolled within two consecutive terms following the successful completion of the exemption test and complete a semester of coursework with good academic standing


  • Complete the exemption test successfully within two consecutive terms of their last term of attendance.

Advanced Placement - York Technical College has approved the following courses (www.yorktech.edu/Exemption-Tests) for exemption credit if students receive a score of 3 or 4 on the exam. Official score reports from the College Board Testing Service must be on file in Academic Records prior to credit being awarded. Other subject areas not listed may receive credit for a score of 3 or more. Students should consult with their academic department chair to determine if the exemption credit can be applied to their program. For further information, students should contact the Academic Records Office.

CLEP - Students may receive credit for selected subject area College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams if the scores meet the minimum score requirements at York Technical College. Exemption for CLEP subject area exams is only granted for courses for which there is a comparable York Technical College course. Official CLEP score reports from the College Board Testing Service must be on file in Academic Records prior to credit being awarded. The York Technical College Assessment Center administers CLEP for a fee. A list of exams may be viewed at www.yorktech.edu/Military-CLEP. For further information, students should contact the Academic Records Office.

International Baccalaureate - Students may receive college credit for scores of 4 or greater on selected International Baccalaureate (IB) higher-level exams. The amount of college course credit awarded will be equivalent to the credit hour value of the college course for which the IB credit is being accepted. A list of exams may be viewed at www.yorktech.edu/Transfer-and-Exemption-Credit.

Military - Students may receive credit for selected formal military coursework and training. York Technical College uses the credit recommendations of the American Council on Education’s Guide for the Evaluation Experiences in the Armed Services to evaluate military course- work.

Foreign Credentials - Students with foreign college credentials may request consideration for exemption credit by having a course-by-course report from an educational credential evaluation service sent to York Technical College’s Academic Records Office. The Academic Records Office and subject area department chairs will review the documentation to determine eligibility for exemption credit.

Other Experiences - Students may receive exemption credit for other experiences such as work experience, professional certificates, or other relevant collegiate or non-collegiate experience. Students should provide appropriate documentation of prior learning experiences for which they are seeking exemption credit to Academic Records.

Transfer: State Policies and Procedures

South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center (SCTRAC)

The South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center serves as the primary tool and source of information for transfer in the state. The system easily provides institutions with the software tools needed to update and maintain course articulation and transfer information. The student interface of this system is the South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center (SCTRAC) web portal: www.SCTRAC.org. This web portal is an integrated solution to meet the needs of South Carolina’s public colleges and universities and their students and is designed to help students make better choices and avoid taking courses which will not count toward their degree. Each institution’s student information system is connected to www.SCTRAC.org to help students and institutions by saving time and effort while ensuring accuracy and timeliness of information.

All two- and four-year public institutions will publish information related to course articulation and transfer, including but not limited to items A through D mentioned above, on the South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center website (www.SCTRAC.org). Course equivalency information listing all courses accepted from each institution in the state (including the 86 courses in the Statewide Articulation Agreement) and their respective course equivalencies (including “free elective” category) will be made available on www.SCTRAC.org. This course equivalency information will be updated as equivalencies are added or changed and will be reviewed annually for accuracy. Additionally, articulation agreements between public South Carolina institutions of higher education will be made available on www.SCTRAC.org, will be updated as articulation agreements are added or changed, and will be reviewed annually for accuracy. All other transfer information published on www.SCTRAC.org will be reviewed at least annually and updated as needed.

Statewide Articulation of 86 Courses

The Statewide Articulation Agreement of 86 courses approved by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education for transfer from two- to four-year public institutions will be applicable to all public institutions, including two-year institutions and institutions within the same system. In instances where an institution does not have courses synonymous to ones on this list, it will identify comparable courses or course categories for acceptance of general education courses on the statewide list. This list of courses is available online at www.che.sc.gov as well as on www.SCTRAC.org.

Statewide Transfer Blocks

The Statewide Transfer Blocks established in 1996 will be accepted in their totality toward meeting baccalaureate degree requirements at all four-year public institutions in relevant four-year degree programs. Several Transfer Blocks were updated in March 2009: Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Business; Engineering; and Science and Mathematics. Transfer Blocks for Teacher Education were updated in July 2010. Transfer Blocks for Nursing were updated in July 2012. The courses listed in each Transfer Block will be reviewed periodically by the Commission’s Academic Affairs staff in consultation with the Advisory Committee on Academic Programs to ensure their accuracy, and the Transfer Blocks will be updated as needed.

For the Nursing Transfer Block, by statewide agreement, at least 60 semester hours will be accepted by any public four-year institution toward the baccalaureate completion program (BSN) from graduates of any South Carolina public associate degree program in nursing (ADN), provided that the program is accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and that the graduate has successfully passed the National Licensure Examination (NCLEX) and is a currently licensed Registered Nurse.

Any student who has completed either an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree program at any public two-year South Carolina institution which contains the total coursework found in the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences or the Science and Mathematics Transfer Block will automatically be entitled to junior-level status or its equivalent at whatever public senior institution to which the student might have been admitted. However, as agreed by the Advisory Committee on Academic Programs, junior status applies only to campus activities such as priority order for registration for courses, residence hall assignments, parking, athletic event tickets, etc. and not in calculating academic degree credits. For a complete listing of all courses in each Transfer Block, see https://www.che.sc.gov/InstitutionsEducators/AcademicPolicies,Programs/AcademicTransferArticulation.aspx.

Assurance of Transferability of Coursework Covered by the Transfer Policy

Coursework (i.e., individual courses, transfer blocks, and statewide agreements) covered within this transfer policy will be transferable if the student has completed the coursework with a “C” grade (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or above. However, the transfer of grades does not relieve the student of the obligation to meet any GPA requirements or other admissions requirements of the institution or program to which application has been made. In addition, any four-year institution which has institutional or programmatic admissions requirements for transfer students with cumulative grade point averages (GPA’s) higher than 2.0 on a 4.0 scale will apply such entrance requirements equally to transfer students from regionally accredited South Carolina public institutions regardless of whether students are transferring from a four-year or two-year institution.

Any coursework covered within this transfer policy will be transferable to any public institution without any additional fee and without any further encumbrance such as a “validation examination,” “placement examination/instrument,” “verification instrument,” or any other stricture, notwithstanding any institutional or system policy, procedure, or regulation to the contrary.

Assurance of Quality

All claims from any public two- or four-year institution challenging the effective preparation of any other public institution’s coursework for transfer purposes will be evaluated by the staff of the Commission on Higher Education in consultation with the Advisory Committee on Academic Programs. After these claims are evaluated, appropriate measures will be taken to ensure that the quality of the coursework has been reviewed and approved on a timely basis by sending and receiving institutions alike.

Transfer Officers

Each institution will provide the contact information for the institution’s Transfer Office personnel, including telephone numbers, office address, and email address, on its website and on www.SCTRAC.org. Transfer Office personnel will:

  • Provide information and other appropriate support for students considering transfer and recent transfers.
  • Serve as a clearinghouse for information on issues of transfer in the state of South Carolina.
  • Provide definitive institutional rulings on transfer questions for the institution’s students under these procedures.
  • Work closely with feeder institutions to assure ease in transfer for their students.

Transfer Policy for Public Two-Year and Four-Year Institutions in South Carolina

All four-year public institutions will issue a transfer guide annually in August or maintain such a guide online. Information published in transfer guides will cover at least the following items:

  1. The definition of a transfer student.
  2. Requirements for admission both to the institution and, if more selective, requirements for admission to particular programs.
  3. Institutional and, if more selective, programmatic maximums of course credits allowable in transfer.
  4. Information about course equivalencies and transfer agreements.
  5. Limitations placed by the institution or its programs for acceptance of standardized examinations (e.g., SAT, ACT) taken more than a given time ago, for academic coursework taken elsewhere, for coursework repeated due to failure, for coursework taken at another institution while the student is academically suspended at his/her home institution, etc.
  6. Information about institutional procedures used to calculate student applicants’ GPA’s for transfer admission. Such procedures will describe how nonstandard grades (withdrawal, withdrawal failing, repeated course, etc.) are evaluated; and they will also describe whether all coursework taken prior to transfer or just coursework deemed appropriate to the student’s intended four-year program of study is calculated for purposes of admission to the institution and/or programmatic major.
  7. Institutional policies related to “academic bankruptcy” (i.e., removing an entire transcript or parts thereof from a failed or underachieving record after a period of years has passed) so that re-entry into the four-year institution with course credit earned in the interim elsewhere is done without regard to the student’s earlier record.
  8. “Residency requirements” for the minimum number of hours required to be earned at the institution for the degree.